This week I spent my entire day on Friday with my nose in my Bible. I don’t get to do this every day, but every once in a while, thanks to this blessing that is called Gathered & Sown, I get to dedicate an entire work day to seeking God’s face, digging through His Word and pulling out little nuggets of wisdom.
I learn so much about God and who He is when I spend time with Him. Sometimes the messages I get from God in my time in His Word are tiny. And sometimes the things He tells me in this time is profound! But the thing I wanted to share with you today, friend, is this:
Time in God’s Word is vitally important. How can you have a relationship with someone that you don’t know?
In His Word God says:
So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ.
Let me put it this way…
Last week, I got a phone call from a friend. Someone who I hadn’t talked to in many months. He had heard I was going through some minor struggles and wanted to call in just to check on me. It was really nice! As our conversation unfolded, I learned that he had heard many things about what I was going through and how I was feeling that simply weren’t true. Through our conversation, I was able to share the truth about my situation with him and tell him how I was ACTUALLY feeling.
Since he took the time to call me up and listen to my heart, he now knows the real me.
How can we claim to know the real God if we aren’t seeking Him out through His Word?
If all we know about God comes from our feelings about Him, or what others tell us about Him, how can we know with certainty that we REALLY know Him?
Just like my friend, the places you may be hearing about Him and the people sharing their experiences with Him very likely mean well.
Without seeking God directly, how can you know that the idea of who He is isn’t something that you’ve invented through your own personal experiences?
I want you to hear from God. And while I’m here to share my own experiences about Him, they are still second-hand stories. I’m not a teacher, I’m just a girl who is here to share what an awesome blessing God has given to me by this relationship with Him. So I want to encourage you to open up His Word and get to know Him for yourself!
There are many things that can keep us from reading God’s Word daily.
- Maybe you don’t have time
- Maybe you don’t know where to start
- Maybe you’re afraid you won’t understand what you are reading
- Maybe you’ve been hurt by a church or other Christians and are reluctant to let God back in
Whatever your reasons, let’s stop that today.
Put aside your reservations and excuses and just tell God that you are ready to get to know Him. He is right here in whatever room you are sitting in reading this.
Grab a pen and a journal, along with your Bible or a Bible app. And let’s hear from God together!
Bible Journaling Prompts
Apply what you’ve learned
- Read 2 Peter 3:9. What do these verses say about God’s feelings towards you?
- Read Hebrews 4:12 What does the writer mean when he says that God’s Word is sharper than a double edged sword?
- Fill in the blanks by writing this sentence in your journal: “For the _________ of God is _________ and active” (Hebrews 4:12 NIV)
- Read Matthew 6:26. What does this passage have to say about God’s love for you?
- Read and then write out Psalm 18:30 in your journal.
- These are only a few short passages from the entire Bible that talk about who God is. He is infinitely complex and we can’t even begin to fathom all that He is. But as you reflect on Him today, write in your journal a few things that maybe surprised you about Him today. Is there anything that you read today that you maybe didn’t believe before?
- In the comments below, please share a verse of truth that you know from the Bible. We can all learn from each other. I’d love to fill the comments with the truth of who God is!