Grab your bible, a notebook, pen and a cup of coffee,
because you are about to embark on an exciting journey!
Time spent in the Word is quality time. Hearing from God in His Word helps us to understand who He is, align our hearts with His and gives us a roadmap for life. Everything that God wanted us to know is in His Word, and knowing and understanding what He says helps us to recognize His hand working in our lives and the lives of those around us.
Bible journaling at it’s simplest is reading your bible and writing about what you read. But whether you are simple or elaborate in your bible journaling, the time spent reflecting on God’s Word through written word, drawing, or even decorating pages keeps your mind focued on what you’ve read and helps both halves of your brain comprehend it.
Some journal by taking notes, some journal by drawing or painting. There are stickers, stamps, stencils, templates special bibles and so much more at our disposal; as a matter of fact, there has never been a more creative time to dive into God’s Word! It doesn’t matter if you think you are a gifted artist or writer. All that matters is that you show up, ready to read the Word and really hear what God has to say to you.
The most important part of bible journaling is really hearing what God is telling you through His Word. Personally, I learn by seeing and doing. So for me, I need to write out what I read, then write out a summary of what I learned. This helps my brain process what it is that I read. Writing is my artistic outlet when I spend time in the Word. Yours may be different, so the beginning of this journey is about finding out what works best for you, dear friend
Writing is my artistic outlet when I spend time in the Word. Yours may be different, so the beginning of this journey is about finding out what works best for you, dear friend ❤️
At Gathered and Sown, I strive to create beautiful and well made tools that will keep you organized, protect your bible and help you journal on the go. In addition, you will find printed journals and devotionals to help guide you in your time in the Word. All of the items available here are handmade and designed specifically to get women like you excited to be in Gods Word.
What drives me is the thought of women spending meaningful time with God. I have a deep passion for sharing with women the idea that bible study shouldn’t be daunting or overwhelming. That God will meet you where you are. Whether you are a seasoned Christian who has spent 60 years learning about Jesus, or someone who has never even owned a bible of your own, this place is for you. God has placed a longing in your heart to draw closer to Him, so don’t be afraid, just jump right in!
Resources to get you started:
- If you have a bible, that’s perfect! Grab it, dust it off if you need to…wink! We are all friends here, so no one will judge you from where you are starting out. If you don’t own a bible, it’s only an app away. Some great bible apps are Bible Gateway and Youversion
- If you are interested in getting a new bible for yourself, one of my favorites (actually, it’s the one I use every day!) is the Life Application Study Bible. I love the NIV version, since that is what I grew up with and it’s familiar. But ESV is another great translation and NLT is great for beginners. I personally love this bible because the notes really do what the bible advertises: Help you apply what you are reading to your life in a practical and relatable way.
- Find a verse in the bible and read it. If you are unsure of where to start, one of my FAVORITE places to get inspired is Blue Chair Blessing. Her facebook page is full of beautiful scripture art. Look there, or pick up a few sets of her scripture cards and use them as your jumping off point each day.
- Grab inspiration for creative bible journaling. My friend Amanda at Move the Moutains has tons of ideas, tutorials and courses specific to artistic bible journaling. Check out her site or follow her on Instagram to stay up to date on the latest in artistic bible journaling. She also sells art tools and journaling bibles, so she’s a one stop shop
- Here is a free printable I designed for you to use to jump start 2 weeks of bible journaling.
- You can also check my blog. I try to write a devotional from time to time and always post them there. These short devos will challenge you to look up scripture and really apply it to your own life. This little corner of my website is where I share a bit of my heart and I love the friendships that I’m forming through the responses I get here. Feel free to reach out to me anytime if you need prayer or have questions. I’m here to help.
- Do you find the bible difficult to understand? It’s ok!! It can take some time to get used to different translations and ancient writing styles. A couple of translations will summarize what the more original translations are saying, in a modern and easy to understand writing style. A few I like to use when I’m stumped are The Passion Translation (TPT) The Message (MSG) and New Living Translation (NLT). You can find these in any bible store, or on your bible app. Use them to cross reference what you read in your regular bible.
Is your bible falling apart? Don't replace it yet!
My bible is well loved. I carry it with me in a tote bag, I leave it on the kitchen counter. I write in it, highlight, stick notes in it. So much of what I’ve learned over the past 15 years is literally written in my beloved personal bible.
But all of the years of great use have left it looking a little less than beautiful. But I don’t want to replace it because I don’t want to lose all of the history that I recorded on those pages!
Gathered & Sown bible covers are made to fit your bible PERFECTLY. It doesn’t matter what brand, translation or cover type your bible is, any cover that you buy from G&S is made to fit like a glove!
Gathered and Sown bible covers are made with genuine full grain leather, featuring front and back pockets to hold your bible securely. The leather will protect further damage to your cover and make your bible beautiful enough to leave on your coffee table once again.
How it works:
Tools to guide you through your bible reading
The Quiet Time Journal contains prompts that will help you pick apart what you are reading in the bible and really hear what God is saying.
And the Prayer Journal will guide you through an in-depth and organized time of prayer. You’ll remember who you wanted to pray for, what you are grateful for, explore areas of your life where God is working and discover the parts of your life where you could use some confession.
Reading your bible doesn’t need to be difficult. Sometimes you just need a little help knowing how to discover what you are reading.
Tools to keep you organized
No matter what kind of bible journaling you do, it’s always helpful to have all of your favorite tools close at hand. At Gathered & Sown, you’ll find everything you need to keep your time in the Word organized. From bible covers to bookmarks and pouches and tote bags. Protect and carry your supplies and be ready to sit down and hear from God anytime, anywhere.